Monday, August 6, 2007

Fabulous summer foods!

I hope everyone is having as much fun eating local summer produce as my family is. Lately, I've been getting our milk and cheese at Trickling Springs, bread and baked goods at Lulu's Bakery, veggies from our CSA and Maplewood Produce, and fruit from Shatzers Orchard and Maplewood. I have info on these other places elsewhere on my blog, and here's a little info on Shatzer's.

Shatzer's is not organic, but at least they're local. It still beats having fruit shipped from California. They are really friendly and have a little shop where they sell their fruit and other local items. Here's a map to their fruit stand on Rt 30 west of Chambersburg:Map of 2197 Lincoln Way W Chambersburg, PA 17201-8655, US

I'm still looking for a reliable source of local organic fruit. If anyone has any info let me know. I hope that I'll soon be able to check out the Windmill Farmer's Market in Shippensburg. They advertise organic produce.

If you're having trouble figuring out some new and different ways to prepare all these great veggies, here are some ideas.

Last night I made Eggplant caviar. Don't fear it has nothing to do with fish eggs. The dish is named for its texture which is like a coarse dip. Basically you bake an entire eggplant in oven at 400 degrees for 35 minutes. Roast a few cloves of garlic in their skins wrapped in a piece of aluminum foil in the oven along with the eggplant. When done let the eggplant cool until it is cool enough to be handled. Cut the eggplant into slices and remove the skin, but be sure to get all the little bits next to the skin as these are some of the tastiest. Puree the peeled eggplant. In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggplant, a handful of chopped parsley, 3 scallions or small onions, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp lemon juice, salt to taste, and garlic (just squeeze the roasted garlic from its skin into the mix). Mix and mash as thoroughly as possible. Serve with crackers or on slices of toasted baguette.

Tonight we had omelettes with sauteed onions, garlic, tomatoes, summer squash, and cheddar cheese (all mixed into the omelette). Then we had fresh peaches for desert.

Some nights we have ratatouille, which is basically just grilled (or sauteed) veggies drizzled with olive oil and italian herbs.

As tomatoes are beginning to kick in, I often have tomato sandwiches and some fruit for lunch.

I'll occassionally post a recipe for seasonal foods. I love to cook, but I know not everyone enjoys searching for that perfect recipe.

Here's a good start. The Wilson CSA has a weekly newsletter and includes some great recipes. http://www.wilson.edu/wilson/asp/content.asp?id=815

No comments: