Thursday, October 25, 2007

New Discoveries

Last Saturday I went to Carlisle to find the Old Pomfret Farmers' Market. Instead I found a street street festival. There were a few farmers selling produce on the square, and I ran into Thom Marti, owner of Broad Valley Orchard - one of the very few orchards in the region that is certified natural (organic - just not USDA certified, which might be even better considering the way this administration has been trying to tinker with the organic standards).

Be sure to check out Thom's website (linked above). Lots of info there. The farm is about 15 miles north of Gettysburg, and from what Thom told me on Saturday the pick-up point for the CSA is at a Lutheran Church in Gettysburg. The amazing coincidence is that this CSA is one that I helped start about 8 years ago. I stepped out after I found myself in over my head without enough gardening experience to provide the food that we needed. I was overjoyed to hear that Thom took over the CSA and that it appears to be thriving.


I ran across a vendor at the fair who makes wooden toys. So I bought this grasshopper for our son. The vendor was "Sew 'n Saw, quality handcrafted items made from wood and fabric" Julie and Tom Pasker 125 Jeanel Ci, Lititz, PA 17543. 717-626-2797. sewnsaw@dejazzd.com





I finally stopped at Appalachian Whole Foods Market on the corner of High St. and Pitt St. in downtown Carlisle. Map of 100 W High St Carlisle, PA 17013-2924, US It's a corner grocery store that carries a wide range or organic and natural foods, body products, and health supplements.

They carry Big Sky Bread which appears to be baked in York, but is a national franchise. The wheat is grown in Montana, and all of the ingredients are simple -- no preservatives, no corn syrup, nothing that you can't pronounce easily. So it's not 100% local but it's a lot better than many of our alternatives. I bought a loaf of whole wheat multi-grain bread that was incredible. One of the best breads I've had in the U.S., and I have a loaf of French peasant bread in the freezer waiting for just the right meal to accompany it. I'll definitely be back for the bread.

They also have some dairy products from Trickling Springs Creamery which I've written about before. For those of you catching up, it's a great local dairy that has local organic dairy products.Apparently there's also a learning center there at Appalachian Whole Foods. There was really too much to try to absorb in one short visit, so I'll get more info next time I go

If anyone has more info on Appalachian Whole Foods or Big Sky Bread Company please post a comment.

While I'm writing about bread, I thought I'd mention the Gettysburg Baking Company. They have two locations in Gettysburg and Biglerville. I've heard good reports, but I've never been there myself. Again if anyone has been there, post a comment.

Other than my adventure in Carlisle, I've been busy putting food up for winter. In addition to the usual squash and root crops, I've been taking advantage of this unseasonably warm fall weather to get in more tomatoes. I freeze some whole for sauces and soups in the winter. I just put them in a big container in the freezer and then grab some whenever I want. I've also been drying some tomatoes and storing them in canning jars. In anticipation of getting a heavy frost someday, I've also been picking some green tomatoes to ripen indoors. I wrap them in newspaper and lay them on a sheet of newspaper on the cool basement floor. They will gradually ripen, hopefully not all at once. I've also been freezing sweet peppers. We also got some organic free-range chickens through our CSA from Village Acres Farm in Mifflintown, PA.

And I have one question for Finnegans Wake (who posted a comment earlier); have I run into another James Joyce fan? I've never had the courage to attempt "Finnegans Wake" but I love "Ulysses."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Andy,
It is so good to reconnect with you. Matt suggested I take a look at your blog.

We haven't had our frost in Boise, either. It got close over the weekend, so I harvested my tomatoes and put them in a box with newspapers. Last year we were able to eat them until Thanksgiving time or later. Just be sure to check them periodically, as some may rot. Did Matt tell you he had a bumper crop of peppers this year? He has been drying them. We will have enough pepper flakes for several years.

Andrew Smeltz said...

It's been really good to hear from you and Matt too.

What kind of peppers did you plant?

My sweet peppers didn't do much, but my hungarian peppers did OK. I'm drying those too.

Matt Miller said...

I plant 6 or 7 varieties of peppers each year--cayenne, early jalapeno and Thai as well as some heirloom varieties. The heirlooms are often tasty but don't produce well in backyard conditions. I have not have much luck with sweet peppers either.

I dry them in a little dehydrator and then crush them up into pepper flakes.

I grew one plant of habaneros three years ago and still have drieds ones left. They are too hot to enjoy, even for me.

Matt

Matt Miller said...

For some reason, that last post showed up with my neighborhood association's blog username. --Matt

Mark and Mel said...

The next time you are in Carlisle on a Friday or Saturday, turn left at the square on Hanover St, go down 1.5 blocks and check out the new Carlisle Central Farmers Market. It is a new, indoor farmers market, very nice and it has the most producers(farmers from the region actually growing or producing their own stuff) of any indoor market in the region. I think the Old Pomfret Market is done for the season though. Anyone who seeks and enjoys local food would enjoy the selection of meats and cheeses there. It is a little sparse on vegetables but more are coming weekly. And there are alot of different apple and pear varieties to choose from. Hope to see you there.

Andrew Smeltz said...

thanks for the tip. I'll stop by some week.