Saturday, October 27, 2007

Native Landscaping

I just thought I'd post a couple resources as I've been researching landscaping with native plants. Everyone knows what a waste of time, energy, space, and resources the typical American yard is, and they are generally pretty boring to look at. I've become tired of trying to maintain my yard, so I'm researching how I can landscape with native plants that will need little maintenance and no watering once they are established.

Here are a few resources that I've run across:
Landscaping with Native Plants in Pennsylvania -- Perfect place to start! I've been cross-referencing their lists with "National Audubon Society, Field Guide to North American Wildflowers"

There are also links to a few other places on the DCNR website.

I also found these videos on Treehugger.com with similar ideas about making better use of space:
Edible Estates
Urban Homestead

Since what we're talking about is really a part of the whole concept of permaculture here is a great video series about permaculture featuring Bill Mollison (who is credited with originating the idea of permaculture):
The Permaculture Concept is a series of videos. I'm only linking to the first one, but I think there are 6 parts total.

1 comment:

Matt Miller said...

This is another topic of interest to us.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/environment/story/90336.html

We replaced our front yard with native and drought tolerant plants last year. Jen planned it all out and it looks really good. Before, we would never see wildlife in our front yard, but now hummingbirds, finches, quail, etc are regular visitors.

Boise is located in the Great Basin desert so it really makes no sense to waste so much water on a boring yard.

Cheers,
Matt