Sunday, September 9, 2007

Second Hand Thoughts

I'll admit this right from the start: I hate shopping. There are few things that will put me in a foul mood the way that going shopping does, especially for stuff that eventually wears out, ends up in the trash, gathers dust in the basement, or ends up in a yard sale. I become apoplectic at the sight of a shopping mall and begin sputtering nonsense about the evils of capitalism, consumerism, slave labor in Indonesia, paving over open land for malls, and dying gorillas in Africa (look up cadmium mining in Africa). It may seem odd, therefore, that I actually enjoy shopping at second-hand stores, yard sales, and the like. Believe me, I'm not thrilled about the things that some people cast aside, but at least their would-be-trash is getting a second life, and it is amazing what you can find.

The hunt is what I enjoy. You never know what you'll find. As one thrift-store shopper once pointed out to me, "Any good pirate will tell you that it's all about the booty." The hunt for treasure encompasses yard sales, auctions, and second hand stores of all shapes and sizes. Buying second-hand is like recycling but better, because there's virtually no cost associated with giving things their second life.

Buying second-hand prevents a veritable multitude of villainies:
  • it keeps perfectly good stuff from entering the waste stream,
  • doesn't require the harvest and manufacture of virgin natural resources,
  • doesn't support harsh or illegal labor practices like childlabor that are common in sweatshops and manufacturing worldwide,
  • because most second-hand shops are local businesses, it puts money back into the local economy,
  • it prevents new stuff from being manufactured.

Imagine it. The unfortunate consumer of new products has the bad karma of environmental degradation and social injustice on their conscience, but buying second-hand is virtually karma-free.

The flip-side of buying second-hand is giving away or selling your things once their useful life has ended. Yard sales are one option. Sharing your old things with friends and family is another good idea. Most second-hand shops will accept donated items, and some will pay you for your things or sell them on consignment.

Here are a few local shops:

Act II Consignment Shops, 5248 Molly Pitcher Hwy, Chambersburg, PA 17202. (717) 375-4884. Located on Rt 11, just South of the Marion Exit of I-81. Great shop. Well-organized and very neatly-kept. I bought five button-down shirts, three dress pants, and two ties (all by very nice name brands and in like-new condition) for $37.

Act II's primary location is in Hagerstown. I've never been to this location but it is purportedly just as nice and about one-third larger than the one on Rt 11. 13625 Pennsylvania Ave, Hagerstown, MD 21742. (301) 739-0552.

Dress To A Tea, 17 W King St, Chambersburg, PA 17201. (717) 267-0603. Downtown Chambersburg. I've never been there, but feel free to add a comment if you have.

Kid To Kid, 15 Shippensburg Shopping Ctr, Shippensburg, PA 17257. (717) 530-5437. My wife and I love this place. We buy our son toys and books here. They have children's clothes, toys, books, strollers, etc. They are in Shippensburg just off of the King St. exit of I-81 near K-mart.

Play It Again Sports. Great shop with all kinds of athletic equipment. They have two locations in the area: Hagerstown and Harrisburg.

13102 Pennsylvania Ave # A, Hagerstown, MD 21742. (301) 790-1365.

4141 Linglestown Rd, Harrisburg, PA 17112. (717) 731-9899.

CD Warehouse, 3832 Union Deposit Rd, Harrisburg, PA 17109. (717) 657-5336. Why pay retail? Once again I love this place for the thrill of searching for hidden treasure and for its quirkiness.

Northwood Books, 59 N Main St, Chambersburg, PA 17201, (717) 267-0606. Used Books.

Twice Read Books & Comics, 42 S Main St, Chambersburg, PA 17201, (717) 261-8449.

Post a comment if you have any other shops to add, comments on shops I've listed, or other ideas about second-hand stuff.

3 comments:

Whozat said...

I love love love Act II. I discovered it while I was in the process of losing lots of weight and it was a life saver as I was going through sizes so quickly. Now I can't stand the thought of paying full price for clothes.

I also bought a great $19 pantsuit at Dress to a Tea. I originally got it for the Governor's Inaugural Ball (lah-tee-dah for me!) and I've since worn it for several job interviews, as well.

I'll have to check out some of those other places, too.

Uma the Great said...

Hello,

I'm not up to blogging and I just wanted to say "Thanks for the Tips". I was looking for a place to buy Hardshell Crabs near Chambersburg and I came to your site. I will look into buying vegetables via Wilson College's Farm. I've tried Dressed to a Tea and bought several suits for work for the cost of one nice dress. So, keep up the insites, I'm new to the area and want to get around. I'm into buying a new car: Nissan Versa, Dodge Caliber, and Honda Fit via the internet are top choices. Do you have dealership info? Thanks again

Andrew Smeltz said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I typically go to edmunds.com when I'm researching new and used cars. They have a lot of good advice when it comes to buying and selling cars. If you like e-bay, e-bay also has a section for buying and selling vehicles, believe it or not. Yahoo Autos is another good place to look. Many dealers list their vehicles on Yahoo.

As for your old-fashioned brick-and-mortar dealerships, Sunset Autos on Rt 11 just North of Chambersburg has a good reputation. Does anyone else have any info?